News & Stories
Indianapolis Area Farmers Markets and Senior Hours
We all know about the vast amount of evidence showing the importance of fruits and vegetables for physical and cognitive health, but most Hoosiers struggle with getting enough fruits and vegetables in their diet. Luckily, supporting local farmers markets is a win-win. Farmers markets are a great way to buy fresh, locally grown produce and support your local economy.
While COVID-19 has meant some farmers markets are not opening this summer, many have found a way to safely open. Here are some tips to safely enjoy farmers markets this year:
- Wear a mask.
- Keep at least six feet apart from others. Many markets have designated one-way walkways to promote social distancing.
- Look for handwashing or hand-sanitizing stations and use them often.
- Considering pre-ordering if you know what vendors you wish to buy from.
- Do not touch produce.
Senior Shopping Hours at Farmers Markets
Additionally, some farmers markets are having special times designated for seniors and those immunocompromised. Here are some local markets with designated times:
- Fishers Farmers Market: 8-8:30 a.m. on Saturdays
- Broad Ripple Farmers Market: 8-9 a.m. on Saturdays
- Garfield Farmers Market: 9-9:30 a.m. on Saturdays
- Farmers Market at the Fairgrounds: While this market has no official senior hours, Wednesdays from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. tend to be the least crowded times.
Central Indiana Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
Below is information on participating markets. Please be aware that things change rapidly due to COVID-19, so we recommend calling your local market to confirm hours and locations before going.
- Becky’s Market – 324 Indianapolis Ave, Lebanon (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Wed & Sat 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Sun 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Lebanon City Market – 98 W Main St, Lebanon (Tue 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Whitestown Farmers Market – 4286 S Main St, Whitestown (Thurs 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Fishers Farmers Market – 6 Municipal Drive, Fishers (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Noblesville Farmers Market – 2175 Logan St. (Federal Hill Commons) (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Farmers Market at the Fairgrounds – 602 N Apple St, (moves across the road to Ext. Office during county fair) (MAY-OCT: Sat 8 a.m.-12 p.m., JULY & SEPT: Wed 8:00 a.m.-12 p.m.)
- Tuttle Orchards – 5717 N 300 W, Greenfield (Mon-Sat 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Avon Farmers Market – 8244 E US Hwy 36, Hendricks Regional Health, Avon (Tue 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.)
- Fletcher’s – 8591 Morgan St, Stilesville (Sun 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Mon-Sat 12:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Plainfield Chamber Farmers Market – SR 267N & US 40, 105 S East St, Plainfield (Wed 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.)
- Franklin Farmers Market – 70 E Monroe St, Franklin (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Greenwood Farmers Market – 525 N Madison Ave (Greenwood Methodist Church), Greenwood (Sat 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
- S&E Produce and Flowers – 320 Griffith Rd, Greenwood (Mon-Sat 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Sun 1:00 p.m.-4:00p.m.)
- Whiteland Orchard – 5559 N Graham Rd, Whiteland (Mon-Sat 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Binford Farmers Market- 65th & Binford Blvd (Northview Church), Indianapolis (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. rain or shine)
- Broad Ripple Farmers Market – 6179Rural Ave, Indianapolis (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Cumberland Farmers Market – 11501 E Washington St, Cumberland (Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Far Eastside Farmers Market (IBFC) – 8902 E 38th St, Indianapolis; closed in July, may open in August
- Garfield Farmers Market (near tennis courts) – 2505 Conservator Dr, Indianapolis (Sat 9:00a.m.-12:30p.m.)
- Irvington Farmers Market – 5301 E St Clair St, Indianapolis; Ellenberger Park (2nd Sun 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.)
- North Church Farmers Market – 3808 N Meridian St, Indianapolis (1st, 3rd & 5th Thu 4:00 p.m.-6:30 p.m.)
- Original Farmers Market at Indianapolis City Market – 222 East Market St, Indianapolis (Wed 9:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.)
- The Elephant Gardens – 3348 N Sherman Dr, Indianapolis (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 11 a.m. -4 p.m.); hours may change for the fall
- Waterman’s Family Farm – 7010 E Raymond St, Indianapolis (Daily 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Morgan County Farmers Market Martinsville – 460 S Main St, Martinsville (Sat 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
- Morgan County Farmers Market Mooresville – 50 N Monroe St, Mooresville (Tue 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Gregory Orchard – 997 E State Rd 42, Mooresville; hours change daily
- Perry Richardson Farm Stand – 749 Martin Ave, Martinsville (Daily 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
- Shelby County Farmers Market – 125 W Washington St, Shelbyville (Sat 8:00 a.m. –12:00 p.m.)
Katherine Starr, an AmeriCorps VISTA at CICOA, brings her passion and skill to the Meals & More Nutrition and Wellness project this year. Throughout college, Katherine volunteered 60 hours a semester at a dementia care facility, and she is now excited to help people with dementia and their caregivers live well within their own communities. Katherine received a bachelor’s degree in economics from Washington & Jefferson College in Pennsylvania and completed a dementia care certification through Presbyterian Senior Care Network and California University of Pennsylvania.