Potluck Recipes That Will Make Everyone Want to Dig In
We are entering the long-awaited warmer months. After a long, chilly winter and spring full of warm, cozy and comforting meals our taste buds are probably beginning to crave more fresh fruits and vegetables, food prepared on the grill, and anything that can be enjoyed outside.
We are also entering the time of outdoor gatherings, potlucks at work or with friends, graduation open houses, and many other events where food is a main attraction. Let’s capitalize on our craving for more fresh tastes and bring dishes to share that are nutritious, delicious and full of seasonal produce to these potluck gatherings.
Before we dig into the recipes, some foods that are in season for the month of June are:
- Green Beans
- Summer Squash
- Swiss Chard
AVOCADO CAPRESE SALAD
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 2 cups red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-5 oz small mozzarella balls
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup torn or chopped basil leaves
Gently toss all ingredients in a bowl. Serve.
CHICKPEA SALAD RECIPE
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp diced green bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp peeled, seeded diced cucumber
- ½ Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup diced tomato
- 3 Tbsp snipped fresh dill or ¼ tsp dried dill
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours to allow flavors to combine. Serve the salad on romaine lettuce leaves or whole wheat pita pockets.