Five million people with Medicare say they can’t afford their medications. In Indiana, the vast majority of Medicare beneficiaries do not take full advantage of their pharmacy benefits, which can negatively impact physical and financial health. Without an understanding of their benefits, too many older adults and people with disabilities may not be taking medications as prescribed for fear of incurring additional out-of-pocket expenses.
During Pharmacy Benefits Week, a public awareness campaign developed by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging and Walgreens, CICOA partnered with Central Indiana Walgreens stores to present information to area seniors on their pharmacy benefits under Medicare and how to lower prescription drug costs. CICOA also provides free counseling year-round about Medicare and other related health insurances through Indiana’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).
Pharmacy Benefits Week Educational Resources
Learn how to maximize pharmacy benefits:
- Pharmacy Benefits Consumer Checklist
- Pharmacy Benefits Consumer Quick Guide
- Pharmacy Benefits Infographic
Pharmacy Benefits Week In The News
- IndyStyle (WISH-TV 8), a local television news program: http://wishtv.com/2017/01/25/american-senior-communities-and-cicoa-address-major-issues-for-medicare-consumers-showcased-during-pharmacy-benefits-week/
- Fox 59 (WXIN), mid-day news segment: link not available
- Hendricks County Flyer: http://www.flyergroup.com/news/local_news/senior-center-to-host-pharmacy-benefits-presentation-on-feb/article_54d5fcb9-4fc3-53ec-a33c-50abfcee6c95.html
Radio: Caregiver Crossings (WIBC), a radio program focusing on caregiving issues: link not available
Earned media coverage was enhanced through support of American Senior Communities, which sponsored a portion of the media outreach. Two of the community events were held in ASC communities. Their involvement helped leverage additional media support and community awareness.