By state law, ALL persons, regardless of income or resources, must complete a PAS application before admission to an Indiana nursing facility. Those refusing to participate who are admitted to a nursing facility may be ineligible for Medicaid coverage of nursing home per diem for the first year following admission.
Any person seeking placement in an Indiana nursing facility who needs Medicaid assistance is required, by law, to complete a Pre-Admission Screening (PAS) evaluation. The purpose of the evaluation is to determine the appropriateness of nursing facility placement, or whether the individual can remain at home with support from in-home and community services.
Pre-Admission Screening Process
- Phone CICOA’s Aging & Disability Resource Center at 317-254-3660 or 800-432-2422 to begin the PAS screening process. If moving from a hospital directly to a nursing home, the hospital can assist with this process. You also may contact the nursing facility directly to which you are seeking admission, and they will initiate contact with CICOA.
- Pick up required forms at CICOA, any nursing facility or click on the consumer links provided below.
- Select a nursing facility. A list of area nursing home facilities is provided below. You should plan to visit several nursing homes before making your final decision.
- Return completed forms to CICOA.
- The CICOA PAS department will schedule an in-home visit and conduct the pre-admission screening.
- A CICOA PAS assessor will provide a plan of care and issue a determination of need.
- Typically the time frame from the initial application to a decision regarding placement is 25 days or less for most applicants. Emergency authorizations may be given when appropriate.
- Notification of the decision for placement will be e-mailed or mailed to you by CICOA. Placement may be made within 90 days of approval. If there is no admission by the end of 90 days, the process must be re-initiated.
- Directions on how to appeal a PAS decision will be provided if nursing home placement is denied.
Pre-Admission Screening Forms
- Application for Long-Term Care Services. Search for Form #45943.
- Physician Certification for Long-Term Care Services
- PASRR Level I
- Physician Script for an Emergency Admit, or if a person is an observation bed, a doctor’s order is accepted (provided by physician).
Links for Consumers