The Medicare Open Enrollment period for 2019 runs Oct. 15 through Dec. 7, 2018.
CICOA offers free, unbiased help for people in Central Indiana making decisions about their health insurance coverage. Our counselors are certified through Indiana’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), and can answer your questions about:
- Medicare Supplement Insurance
- Medicare Advantage
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Low-Income Subsidy
- Medicare Savings Program
CICOA is not affiliated with any insurance company or agency and does not sell insurance.
Instead, we provide expert SHIP counseling through telephone or face-to-face interactions, public education presentations, and media activities. CICOA also has experts who can assist with application for Extra Help and Medicare Savings Programs.
Our counselors are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 317-803-6131, or you can call SHIP at 800-457-8283.
What is the Low Income Subsidy (LIS) or “Extra Help”?
Extra Help will pay for these costs associated with a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan:
- Monthly premiums
- Annual Deductibles
- Prescription co-payments
Who is eligible?
- Anyone who has Medicare Prescription Drug Plan and with limited income
What is the Medicare Savings Program (MSP)?
Three categories of help are available:
- QMB – Qualified Medicare Beneficiary
- For individuals at or below 150% FPL (Federal Poverty Level)
- Pays for Part A and Part B premiums, deductibles, and co-insurance
- SLMB – Specified Low Income Medicare Beneficiary and QI-Qualified Individual
- For individuals at or below 185% FPL
- Pays for Medicare Part B Premium only
Who is eligible?
- This is a program provided through Indiana’s Medicaid program for Medicare beneficiaries with low incomes and limited resources.