Developmental Disabilities Care Management
Accredited case management services for children and adults with developmental disabilities
While caring for a child or adult with developmental disabilities can be challenging, it’s important to remember that you are not alone, and there is a strong network of support and community resources available to help both you and your loved one.
In Central Indiana, CICOA is now part of that team, having been approved by the state in 2020 to add case management for those with developmental disabilities through the Community Integration and Habilitation (CIH) Waiver and Family Supports Waiver (FSW).
What that means for you is that our friendly and professional Flourish Care Management staff, recognized as achieving the highest standards in case management for long-term services and supports by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), now stands ready to assist you and your loved one with a developmental disability.
With 40-plus years of care management experience with the Aged & Disabled Waiver, Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver, CHOICE and Social Services Block Grant/Title III services, we are eager to provide the same wrap-around support you and your loved one need across the life span, regardless of funding source. We also bring the strength and expertise of our certified Aging & Disability Resource Center to connect you to additional available community supports and services.
What a CICOA Care Manager Does
CICOA care managers provide person-centered care and exceptional experiences to empower individuals of any age with a disability—now including developmental disabilities—to live with the greatest possible independence, dignity and quality of life. Not only can we assess for needs and create a person-centered plan of care, we also provide support on an on-going basis. Here’s what we do:
- Call monthly and conduct in-home visits quarterly
- Review and update care plans as needed and submit person-centered plans of care annually
- Connect the family to additional home- and community-based resources
- Connect and apply for needed services
- Provide advocacy and support at school
- Provide guidance through life transitions
- Provide support with medical needs and equipment resources
- Assess eligibility for transitioning to another waiver, if needed
In addition to the training required for all certified CICOA care managers, those assigned to the Developmental Disabilities team also must undergo an additional 20 hours of training in case management services annually, 10 hours of which must be approved by Indiana’s Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS).
How to Get Started with Developmental Disabilities Services in Central Indiana
In the state of Indiana, people with developmental disabilities must first be approved for services by Indiana’s Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS) through the Family Support Waiver (FSW) or the Community Integration and Habilitation Waiver (CIH).
To be eligible, a person must meet the following criteria:
- Have an intellectual/developmental disability or related condition
- Meet level of care (LOC) requirements for admission to an intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disability (ICF/IID)
- Be eligible for Medicaid
- Make an informed choice requesting home and community-based services
In the approval process, BDDS offers a pick list of approved providers, from which you can choose CICOA to provide care management services.
CICOA has earned the prestigious NCQA accreditation for case management for long-term services & supports and is a Gold Level organizational member of The Arc of Indiana, supporting people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Call CICOA's Resource Center
for community resource referrals
(317) 803-6131 or (800) 432-2422