Come join us for Safe at Home, a high-impact, half-day of service to low-income homeowners over the age of 60 to help make their homes and yards safe and accessible for daily living. Every year CICOA and community volunteers provide home safety modifications to a central Indiana community.
7:45 – 8:00 AM – Arrive at Kickoff location
8:00 AM – Registration and light breakfast
8:30 AM – Group Photos
8:45 AM – Program
9:00 AM – Depart to Project Sites
11:00 AM – Noon – Return to Kickoff location for lunch
Why Your Help Matters
Largely preventable, falls are one of the leading causes of fractures, injury and early death.
One out of four Americans 65 or older falls every year.
More than 2.8 million injuries from falls are treated in emergency departments annually.
This is our 10th Safe at Home event – More than 150 homes served by over 1100 volunteers since 2010.
- 60 + years old or with a disability
- Own your home
- 250% of poverty level or below (1 person $31,225 per year, 2 persons $42,275 per year)
- Identified fall risk in the home
Projects and Services
- Install grab bars in bathrooms; handheld shower units
- Install banisters in stairwells and hallways
- Install handrails on outdoor steps
- Step transitions
- Install motion detection lighting
- Install smoke detectors
- Yard: Clean, organize and remove trash and yard debris when approved by owner