Program increases accessibility by providing affordable cross-county transportation for qualifying individuals
CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions and Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority (CIRTA) recently relaunched the My Freedom program, which provides transportation services for individuals with disabilities or anyone over the age of 60 in Central Indiana.
“We are grateful to provide this necessary program in our region to better serve Central Indiana residents,” said Jennifer Gebhard, executive director at CIRTA. “My Freedom allows elderly and individuals with disabilities to maintain their independence while living life to the fullest.
In order to apply for My Freedom Transportation, interested and eligible individuals can follow three simple steps:
- Request your doctor to complete a Medical Verification Form.
(Individuals over 60 years old or with an IndyGo Access Card can skip this step.)
- Complete a My Freedom Application.
- Await your Welcome Packet and Farecard to begin riding!
Upon receiving a farecard in a welcome packet, individuals will call (317) 803-6153 to request a ride.
Once approved, cross-county transportation throughout the Central Indiana region is serviced through CICOA Way2Go Transportation, which provides rides throughout Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Marion, Morgan and Shelby counties. This program can be used for various purposes like work-related travel, social visits with friends and family, therapy sessions, personal errands and more.
“We’re thrilled to relaunch this program and expand our capabilities to serve people with disabilities and seniors 60 and older,” said Tauhric Brown, president and CEO of CICOA. “With My Freedom, Central Indiana residents can access affordable transportation not only for medical appointments, but also for social, faith and wellness activities that contribute to a good quality of life.”
Through funding support from CICOA, CIRTA and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), eligible participants receive a highly discounted rate for fares.
- If the pickup location is in Marion County and involves crossing one county line, the trip cost includes a $5 pickup fee plus $2 per mile. The system calculates the shortest mileage route.
- For round trips, which consist of two one-way trips, the $5 pickup fee and $2 per mile are applied to each trip.
- If the pickup location is in Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Morgan, or Shelby County, minimum trip charge fees will apply. Please inquire about pricing with Ztrip at (317) 487-7777 if traveling with them.
To fill out the application or learn more about the program, please visit cicoa.org/myfreedom.